The two 14ft. diameter shafts were sunk in 1874 to the Haigh Moor seam, 143 yards deep.
The upcast shaft was deepened to the Beeston seam (known locally as the Savile Park seam) in 1909 to act as an upcast shaft for the neighbouring Silkstone and Beeston workings of Whitwood Colliery on the Methley side.
After the closure of Whitwood the shaft was part filled to the Flockton horizon in 1970.
Between the years 1956 and 1958 major reconstruction included:-
1 Deepening of the downcast shaft from Haigh Moor to Flockton horizon and the construction of a new pit bottom at that level and a connection made to the upcast shaft.
2 Development of the Flockton seam.
3 Completion of surface plant electrification including the installation of two electric winding engines.
4 Installation of turntable operated minecar circuit at the downcast surface to two ton capacity minecars.
The major visible reduction in 1958/59 was the demolition of the huge boiler chimney which was brought down by contractors working from scaffolding which was lowered progressively as the bricks were knocked down into the shaft of the chimney to a waiting skip. The dismantling operations were exceedingly dangerous, but at the same time highly spectacular to view. Sadly am unable to draw on any photographs of the work.
Savile Pit September 1927
•Presentation – A pleasant time was spent on Tuesday evening at the Bay Horse Inn, when a presentation was made to Mr J D Barlinson, who after 22 years service at Savile Colliery as enginewright is retiring, and is going to live at Hornsea. The chair was occupied by Mr J Simpkin, Colliery Manager, who was supported by Mr M Charlton of Whitwood and Mr J Crossland.
•The Chairman congratulated Mr Barlinson on his long and faithful service, and then on behalf of the employees Mr Barlinson was presented with a wallet containing notes by Mr W Ward the oldest employee at Savile Pit where he has worked for 40 years. The gift was suitably acknowledged. During the evening musical items were rendered by messrs Rigby, Wheeler and the Backhouse Bros.
When you walked over the landsale weighbridge (for weighing empty and loaded coal delivery lorries) you would see the name ‘Denison’ cast in relief in the steel. This was the same Denison family who resided in Methley and developed a nationwide business in heavy duty weighbridges. – Denison Square, Denison Row
Clayton Goodall were the Leeds Engineering Company famous for the manufacture of plant of all descriptions. The upcast headgear at Savile was made by this company. The Clayton family resided in Clayton Villa, Station Road. A marble headstone to the members of this family can be seen in the churchyard near to the east gate. Clayton Close formerly Clayton Yard.