Cricket Fixtures 1948
Townville, Whitwood, Glass Houghton, Thackley, Allerton Bywater,
English Electric Sports, Swillington, Altofts, Siddall, Pontefract, and
Featherstone – all Home and Away.
Leeds Zingari – Home only.
March Whist Drive for the Church Working Party was held in St. Margaret’s hut run by Mesdames Abrams and White – prizes were won by Mrs Yelland, Mrs Storer, Mrs Ledbury and Mrs Abrams.
March British Legion – Members of the Methley Branch held a dance in the Welfare Hall. Mr C Martin was the compere where old-time and modern dancing was enjoyed. Competition winners were Messrs
Connor and Thompson.
St Oswald’s Church – The March issue of the church magazine recorded that the village registers commenced in the year 1560 and are complete up to the present time. It was the custom to record events of special importance within the parish.
1637 – John Savile gave unto the Parish Church for ever one flagon of massive silver and a plate of the same metal. At the same time it was announced that the flagon had been stolen.
1666 – An act was passed that all corpses must be buried in woollen shrouds to encourage the wool trade.
1667 – John Townend was buried on the 30th March, this was the first man to be buried according to the law.
1778 – Methley bridge was rebuilt following the original construction in 1611 after much repair.
1948 – In the current issue of the magazine , Canon J Roberts who has been in the parish for the last six years states that the Bishop of Knaresborough expects to return to Methley at Easter time, he will then return to Leeds. It was also reported that electric lighting has been installed in the Parish Hall and is a vast improvement. Mr. Dennis Heath, with assistance by Mr Ronald Lewis has done the wiring.
June to September Extracts
June – From 50 years ago (June 1898) – A New organ, the gift of Mr James Scarlett, of Manchester formerly of Methley, was opened at the Wesleyan Church. An architects report on Methley Parish Church said it was impossible to describe it as ‘otherwise than in a condition of picturesque decay,’ and estimated that repairs would cost £3,000.
13th August – The holiday week saw the installation of the new headgear of the Haigh Moor shaft at Savile pit.
Bowls – Holiday week competion for the two Nicholas cups attracted a good number of entrants. Semi-finalists were :- J Sidebottom, A Ineson, R Allen, and J Beards. Rupert Allen beating Joe Sidebottom 21-18 in the final. President Mr L Flintoft presented the cups in the absence of the donor.
Thomas Worth raised smiles all round at Leeds West Riding court when summoned for riding his bicycle to the common danger. When asked why he did not signal with his right hand in order to make a right turn just before he was knocked off the bike by a car driven by Herbert Carr of Methley. Thomas claimed that he could not release his hand which was holding a full bucket of water on the cross bar. Fined 10/-
10th September – Bowls – The Rose & Crown bowling green has been selected to host some of the Yorkshire Charity Handicap rounds. Four members of the Methley club taking part in the tournament at other greens are – R Allen, T Varley, J Sidebottom and H Hardbottle.
Celebrating their golden wedding wedding, Mr and Mrs Richard Backhouse of the Bungalows, Lower Mickletown. Both born, and resident in this village all their lives will be spending a holiday at Blackpool and on their return will be entertained at a family party. Mr Backhouse until his retirement worked at the local sewage works.
The British Legion at its annual general meeting heard the chairman (Cr Savory) reporting a successful year including membership growth and finances. Mr T Ward, Games Secretary outlined a full winter programme. A cheque was presented to Mr Gibson – headmaster at Mickletown School to purchase radiogram equipment.