|At the January meeting in 1923 a proposal to purchase the Institute and grounds out of Miner’s Welfare funds was mentioned. The annual report of the MOHshowed 1,111 families with only 944 habitable houses in the village, while the census returns showed the population to be 4,492 compared with 4,327 in 1911.
From the election of 1924 Mrs Briggs became a member of the Council, this being a decided innovation at the time.
The County Council asked what steps were being taken in regard to housing and overcrowding, a report by their officials indicated a need of 160 houses in the locality.
Bus traffic was stated to becoming dangerous and a request was made for defined bus stops. Information was received from the Ccounty Authority that work was to be put in hand for the repair of Methley Bridge. This was carried out the following year (1925).
In the January, 1925 there was the first suggestion of making the present new road which joins Long Church Lane with Pinfold Lane, and it was stated to be with a view to erecting houses on either side. The Education Authority wanted land for the extension of Mickletown school playground and the Miners’ Welfare Committee wanting land for a football field and recreation ground being all involved.
It was agreed to ask Castleford for Fire Brigade purposes to Methley on their country call list.Objection was taken to a proposal by Leeds Corporation to run their buses over Methley roads, and the County Council were asked to take this matter up. A new lease was entered into for Red House for 14 years.. Approved that year was the widening of the corners of Pinfold Lane at the Mickletown end and the provision of recreation grounds at M Junction and Low Common
|In 1926 the clerk reported that Rothwell had approached Stanley Urban Council that the two councils along with Methley and Hunslet should amalgamate, the Council declined to pursue this matter. Councillor Briggs became chairman at the annual meeting and later in the year it was claimed that the recreation ground at the Junction had been a boon during the coal stoppage. Mr JS Richardson wrote offering about an acre of land at the junction of Main Street and Mill Lane for a recreation ground for 7years at 1s per year. The offer being accepted.
Councillor Bullimore at the December Meeting drew attention to the fact that their new streets had no name plates, and said a lady visitor, unaware that he was a member of the council told him that ‘she was never in such a God-forsaken place in her life before’. He also said that someone had asked him where the market place was, but he was unable to tell them.
In 1928 Councillor Whittaker gave a detailed statement of what he considered the advantages to Methley would be by joining Castleford compared with Rothwell. A resolution he proposed found no seconder. Housing matters came up again with a scheme for the erection of 10 houses. The new road was formally opened that year by Mrs Briggs.
1930 – Entry into the thirties brings this account up to quite modern times and it was not long before more definite steps began to be taken in the Riding towards a regrouping of districts which has led to Methley finally fading out.
At the March meeting of 1930 the death of Cllr Askew was recorded, he having been a member for 10 years. Another housing scheme was approved, further employment relief schemes were suggested and there was acomplaint that precepts for hospitals were increasing. The Summerhill Road scheme was reported to be proceeding satisfactorily.