Benjamin Burnley commenced sinking the shafts in 1845 and the pit started to produce coal in 1851. In the early 1900’s severe flooding problems were experienced and as a result the shafts were altered and the pit was used for ventilation for Whitwood and Savile mines and also manriding for Whitwood.
One notable feature was on closure the pit was the only one in the area to have wooden headgear. Rail connection was to the Methley curve on the North Eastern Railway and was by a steeply graded incline – see photo. It had previously been worked by cable haulage – see the cable rollers between the tracks.
Burnley sold the colliery to Briggs & Co in 1859.
Information source R. Rockett